Minutes of April 16.
- 1. Convened 8:40 AM, April 16, 2005.
- a. Introductions
- b. Establish time line
- c. Additions
- d. Minutes of last meeting
MOTION To approve the On-Line minutes of the 2004 meeting
Proposed- Mike Miller
Seconded- Cas Wolan
Discussion: Addendum to endowment fund SOP 550 not on the list but was passed
- e. Business arising from minutes: Concern about getting committee reports in a timely manner.
- f. Presidents address: Promotion Concerns
- h. Business managers Report: Business Manager Burk presenting.
Administration Log-deals with 4-600 messages per month.
Waiver Compliance-100% in all provinces except Quebec. Dom. will work on improving Quebec’s numbers
Media Promotion-discussion of the possibility of hiring a new employee. Possibly through a school emplacement program to set-up a media events and promotion for a work term student.
Master Plan- Create an accessible/ interactive schedule on the HPAC web site. The HPAC- program has one we can set up
Reorganization of Business Manager’s Office.
Charitable Status-can possibly be achieved if we apply as a sporting organization.
Vacation for Business Manager? Is there a back-up- Yes. Cas Wolan and Gerry monitor and can step in if needed
Are we contravening the Privacy act by retaining information?
Updates from Business Manager to BOD. -re: business, number in HPAC, load on Business Manager
- i. Presentation of Year-end Accounts: Charles Matheson presenting.
Discussion: Money held in 1.9% GIC, 1 yr. Renewable due Nov.
Business Manager is Secondary Treasurer. Needs full time access or right of acct.s payable
MOTION: To make the accounts payable the responsibility of the Business Manager.
Proposed: Bruce Busby
Action: Mike Miller to update job description of Business Manager.
Charles Matheson. Business Manager will need copies of Bank Statements.
Mike Miller will send a copy of motion to the president.
Discussion: Decision to make the payments to the provincial associations an annual event to be paid on the 15th of April each year.
Discussion of the balance sheet found some errors – no invoice for auditor
Endowment fund not included
Survol/Air subscription mix-up
World team comp funds
No FAI sporting license cost
Need to change wording of “insurance” to “document fee.”
Action: Web Team to change all HPAC based wordings for insurance
Action: Web Team to look into domain registration fee, paypal costs to users and HPAC
Action: Web Team to include temporary members into website. Business Manager to update names.
Action: Budget tabled until hard copy and corrections completed.
- 2. IAC Report and Discussion: 1400hrs. Peter Darian-Varzeliotis presenting
See report in appendices.
Discussion: Make it easier to track instructor’s numbers and their student rebate.
Actions: Peter Darian-Varzeliotis/Business Manager to redesign HPAC registration forms to include:
a. Instructors Name
b. HPAC #
Discussion: Concern about student pilots having no registered insurance.
Action: Business Manager will monitor non-rated members.
Discussion: Redo the Novice and Advance tests. Establish an intermediate test. Reset to 100 flight limits for both para. And hang Advanced and Senior Ratings
Action: Peter Darian-Varzeliotis will write an intermediate HG exam.
Action Glenn Derouin will be asked to write an intermediate PG exam.
Discussion: HAGAR and possible inability to pass medical deference for class G airspace.
Action: Refer to Andre Nadeau as TC Liaison.
Discussion: Exams for HG and PG can be accessed together on the web.
Action: Web Team to separate the PG from HG as per instructors “glider” skill.
Discussion: Apprentice instructor manual should be instated.
Action: Set a 15-hour pre-instructor course, and 15 hour post instructor course instead of a full length course for re-certifying. Create mandatory reading for instructors.
- 3. Safety Report: 1650 hrs. Fred Wilson Presenting
See report in appendices
Discussion: Accident reports are to prevent recurrences through analysis
Risk management needed. Every school should have a plan based on local knowledge
Action: All instructors should be directed to TC website on Risk Management
Discussion: Events are covered by HPAC. We should change the “Competition Rulebook” to a ‘Events Rulebook.”
- 4. Continuation of Safety Officer Discussion: Was Fred ever reappointed as safety director;
Action: Mike Miller to consult with Judith/others about any official appointment for Fred Wilson
- 5. Continuation of IAC Report.8: 30 Peter Darian-Varzeliotis presenting.
MOTION: Add the three recommendations from the IAC Report to the Tandem 2 SOP 430.
Have the recommendation of a Tandem 2 instructor in the same activity
Write a letter of application to the HPAC/ACVL BOD
Be approved by the HPAC/ACVL BOD
Proposed Peter Darian-Varzeliotis
Seconded: Gerry Grossnegger
One Abstain: Domagoj Juretic , Quebec. Needs more consultation with Quebec’s instructors before implementation of new rules
Added to SOP 430 2006-09-16.
- 6. Continuation of Budget. Charles Matheson 10:40 hrs
Tabled for ongoing discussion on on-line meeting
Discussion: To set up a AQVL paypal account to transfer money belonging to HPAC from their accounts to HVAC’s
Action: Discussion between John and AQVL authorities will set this up ASAP
Discussion: Develop and set a marketing budget
Investigate other marketing investments. I.e.…t-shirts, hats…
- 7. Web Team Report: Presented by Judith Newman, 11:20 hrs
Discussion: Phil D’Eon has resigned as head of the web team.
MOTION: Appoint Judith Newman as new Project Manager
Seconded: Cas Wolan
Discussion: There is a need for a content manager for the website.
It has been observed that too many different people maintain different parts of the web. Charles Matheson is considered the “engine” while Gerry is the appearance manager.
We need some input from Quebec; a web volunteer has been requested.
Action: Dom was going to find someone from the Quebec region.
- 8. Air Editor Report: See Apendices –11:50hrs.
The report states that James is looking into more colour for the magazine.
Discussion: Possibility of newsstand distribution if we can increase advertising revenue.
Discussion: look into government programs to pay for translation into French.
Action: Michael Fuller will investigate.
- 9. CIVL Report: See Appendices 12:10hrs.
- 10. Competition Report: see appendices 12:20hrs
It was agreed to accept the nominations for two competition awards:
Discussion: To review the PRD (SOP 630?) and/or create a system for the awarding of these honours.
- Lew Neilson - Brett Hazlett
- Willi Muller - Will Gadd
Action: Bruce Busby will develop the PRD.
- 11. Committee of Canadian Competition: Rulebook update
Discussion: A move to update the Canadian Competition rulebook has been underway by Mark Dowsett.
It was agreed that it is long overdue.
Action: The BOD would poll three people to oversee this work:
Discussion: To keep Bernard Winkleman as chair of the competition committee.
- Mark Dowsett
- Nicole McLearn
- Doug Keller
Action; New Chair needed
MOTION: To appoint Doug Keller as chair of the competition committee
Seconded: Cas Wolan
Action: Doug will contact Mark for the committee
Michael Fuller will contact Bernard.
- 12. Insurance Report: See Appendices
Discussion: A need for plain language be included in the card renewal to John.
Action: To be reviewed by Mike Miller
Accepted by consensus.
- 13. Transport Canada Liaison Report: See Appendices
Discussion; Whether we need to consider powered paragliding.
Action: It is presently under the control of ultra light aircraft, and it should stay there.
Accepted by consensus.
- 14. Awards:
Solid Ground Award: See SOP 530-0.
Discussion: Amend the wording of the PRD to clarify it is for non-participants of the sport.
Create a plaque for the recipients
Five valid nominations were considered:
MOTION: To accept all 5 nominees to the Solid Ground Award.
- Babinol: HPAAC
- Flegel: MHGA
- Coldstream Ranch: OSA (Jane Hunt)
- Staff of Land and Water BC: WCSC
- Spielstra: SOGA
Proposed: Cas Wolan
Action: For each presentation try to aquire photos for AIR.
Jamie Christensen Award:
MOTION: To accept Stewart Midwinter the Jamie Christensen award.
- Stewart Midwinter; 5 votes
- Fred Wilson; 1 vote
Cliff Kakish Award:
MOTION: To accept Margit Nance as the recipient of the Cliff Kakish award.
- Margit Nance; 6 votes
- Rob Samplonius;
Proposed: Mike Miller
- 15. New Business:
- Travel Expenses Request: The safety officer requested that his expenses be covered for this ADM.
Discussion: The safety officer is not a member of the BOD, and only his report was necessary.
MOTION: To supply 50% of the safety officers travel expenses for this ADM
- Board Development: Concerns with regards to Bill C-45 and whether the HPAC BOD are liable.
Discussion: According to c-45, if we are “directing work and/or activity” we might be liable for paragliding activities
Action: Mike Miller will check the insurance policy to see if it will cover the association for legal costs or liability actions against it.
- Location of The 2006 ADM:
Action: Dom would enquire as to the possibility of holding it in Quebec.
- Situation with Mt Tremblent, Que.
Discussion: Mt. Tremblent is a limited open site for pilots who meet minimum skill and experience requirements. The President and administrator for flying on Tremblent has filed a complaint against another member who is teaching but not listed as an instructor (as of April 16, 2005)
Action: Peter will write a letter to Richard in Quebec about HPAC insurance non-compliance
Mike says…I am confused over this one, can someone please straighten me out????
- Tow Manual: A request by CIVL to place our tow manual on their website
Discussion: Gerry developed it.
Action: We will keep it on our web site and keep it as a HPAC resource available to all who request it
- Local Support:
Discussion: Continuing problems between a school and a club in BC
Action: Bruce will talk to both parties and see if he can broker a solution
- Tow originator request for funds
Discussion: To make towing allowed in Canada an individual worked very hard and spent much time and money with Transport Canada to get a tow exemption for Hang Gliders in Canada.
Action: Bruce and John would look into the details and report back to the BOD as to the specific amount.
- Fee Structures: Mention was made of making the provincial fees paid an option on the HPAC registration form.
Discussion: Provincial fee is set by the provincial membership. Any change would have to come from them.
Action: No action
- Qu'Appelle Valley: Control of this site is very local. Gerry, what was this about??
- OLC: Why do we pay Sweden for a competition format we can develop ourselves?
Discussion: The OLC exposes Canadian pilots to a form of friendly, international competition. By using a standard, international format we can easily be part of the worlds flying community.
- Endowment Fund: Add another $5000 to the fund this year?
Discussion: Where do we invest it?
Could we use the money for the marketing/promotion of the sport instead.
Action: Tabled .
- Marketing/Promotion of the Sport.
Discussion: Should we hire a marketing promotion person from a student placement program/ Sheridan college in Toronto offers this with 45% paid by the government.
It would increase our exposure in Canada.
Would create a media management for events
Would assist in marketing/ fundraising.
MOTION: To develop a marketing Strategy for HPAC in Canada.
- MOTION: For Bruce to chair the marketing committee
Discussion: Members on the committee could include:
Budget proposed to be up to $10,000 total
- Cas Wolan
- Troy ?
- Mike Miller
Action: Report to be filed within a month.
- Elections this Year: Areas due for elections this year:
Action: John to put announcements in this coming issue of AIR.
- Atlantic Region
Need to adjust SOP 205 to reflect the timing of announcements.
- Master Plan: Will need to be automated
Action MANTIS is part of the HPAC web program and can be adjusted to do this
- Instructor Ratings: if Senior or Instructor ratings are to be with held a reason must be given by the BOD
- AGM: The AGM needs to be before the end of June.
Action: John will create a mail out for this years AGM.
Action : Drink beer and go flying! (but maybe not in that order...)
Agreed by consensus.