The Willi Team regretfully announces that we have decided to cancel Willi 2020, at least in the form it has taken for the last 23 years (see below). Community is at the core of what makes the Willi great, the community of pilots that comes together around our shared passion for XC free flight, and the community of Golden and the Columbia Valley that welcomes us to enjoy their home. In good conscience we cannot expose either of these communities to unknown risks at this time.
This decision was not made easily. To our regulars, we will miss the best part of the Willi for us - spending time and having fun with you. For pilots who planned to attend for the first time, please join us in future for what we assure you will be one of the best comp experiences you can have. And to our sponsors and suppliers, we truly appreciate your continued support.
I will be processing refunds in the next few days for all pilots who have registered and paid for this year's competition. If you would like, let me know and we will carry your payment forward to next year.
We will be back next year in the usual format for the 25th annual Willi. John wants me to assure you all that there will be bigger prizes, even better breakfasts, and more beer.
There will be a Willi this year, different, but we just can't imagine a year without one. We're calling it Virtual Willi 2020. Participate wherever you are. Rules will be posted on our site soon, but here's how it will work...
- Register on our site by Friday, July 24 - go to: http://thewillixc.com/event-details/willi-registration/. (Note: If you have already registered, you're in - no need to register again.)
- Fly XC wherever you are during the usual dates of the Willi - July 25 to Aug 2. We recommend you fly with a GPS tracker, just as you would during the Willi. Obviously, Dannie will not be tracking you but trust me, he still cares.
- Submit a Willi Landing Form for each flight - go to: http://thewillixc.com/pilotinfo/landingform/. We'd prefer you upload your flight to XCanada to get your points (see here), but will also accept a witnessed landing and trust your measured distance. Please don't take a bonus for take-off from Upper Launch even if you do launch from Mt. 7. The Landing Bonus will still apply for a witnessed safe landing - we're all about the safety.
- Best 3 flights registered during the week for each participating pilot will determine final standings in each pilot category.
- Winners in each category will receive a free entry to Willi 2021.
- If you need help, Dannie and I will monitor the site and be available via email (email@example.com) or chat on Facebook.
There will also be flying from Mt.7 this year - some are already launching from 5K. Muller Flight Park at GEAR is closed, but Doug and Karen Keller have announced you are welcome to use Keller fields as an LZ for solo flights - please be sure to sign their waiver before you head up the mountain. The restaurants and stores in the area will appreciate any business you can send their way. If you choose to visit, please respect any social distancing protocols in place and continue to do what you can to maintain the great reputation we as pilots have built in the community.
See you in 2021, in person, for the 25th Willi!
The Willi Team
Published: May 13, 2020